Now all U.S. citizens can receive their blank ballots electronically. Depending on the state in which you are eligible to vote, you may get your ballot by email, fax, or internet download. To start, go to to complete a new Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), print and sign the form then return it to your local election office in the United States. We recommend overseas U.S. citizens get in the habit of completing FPCAs each January. You should include your email address on the form so it’s easier for your election officials to reach you if there is a problem. If your state delivers ballots electronically by fax only, be sure to include your fax number. If you request electronic delivery and include your email address or fax number, you’ll receive your blank ballot 45 days before general and mid-term elections and generally 30 days before special, primary, and run-off elections for federal offices. Most states now have voter registration verification websites, and many offer a means of tracking the status of your registration and ballot.

Where do I vote?

U.S. citizens do not vote at U.S. embassies and consulates. The electoral process is administered by the different U.S. states and you vote by mailing an absentee ballot to the state, or territory, where you last resided immediately prior to departing the United States. This applies even if many years have elapsed since your departure from the U.S. and you do not maintain a residence in the state or territory, and the intent to return to that state or territory is uncertain. For more detailed information, please see state specific information from the Federal Voting Assistance Program website at

How do I vote?

To apply for voter registration and to request an absentee ballot, U.S. citizens abroad send a form called The Federal Post Card Application(FPCA) to the state where they last resided immediately prior to departing the U.S. The Federal Post Card Application may be obtained from the Federal Voting Assistance Program website at or a hard copy of the FPCA may also be picked up from any U.S. embassy or consulate. FPCAs may be mailed to your local voting officials in the United States via international mail or from any U.S. embassy or consulate. Please be aware of your state’s registration deadline as the deadlines for the different states may vary extensively!

Your local voting officials should mail your absentee ballot 45 days before the general election. Return your voted ballot as early as possible. Be aware of your state’s ballot receipt deadline, as well as any postmarking requirements.

For further information you may review the Frequently Asked Questions visit: