The first group of Peace Corps Volunteers arrived in Eswatini in January 1969, a few months after its independence from Britain. During the following 28 years Peace Corps provided Swaziland with a total of 1400 Volunteers. The primary focus throughout most of this period was in secondary education (mathematics, science, English, agriculture and vocational training) and agricultural cooperatives. Due to budgetary constraints, in 1996 Peace Corps regretfully closed its program in Swaziland as it did in several other countries. In 2002, Peace Corps returned to Swaziland at the request of King Mswati III to assist in countering the HIV/AIDS pandemic. The Post reopened in early 2003 and the first group of Volunteers to implement the Community Health Project began their service in November 2003.
September 2022 marked a resumption of a long legacy of Peace Corps in Eswatini which was interrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020 when the Peace Corps evacuated 7,000 volunteers globally, including 89 from Eswatini alone. After a two year service interruption, Peace Corps Eswatini welcomed 7 American Peace Corps Volunteers and communities across Eswatini will be their homes for the next two years. The return coincides with the celebration of 19 years of community and family ties, strong partnerships and unbreakable friendship between the people of Eswatini and the United States.
For complete information on Peace Corps Eswatini, visit the Peace Corps Eswatini website.