Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Mbabane, Eswatini, August 06, 2020
Event: There is an ongoing outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19) first identified in Wuhan, China. The global public health threat posed by COVID-19 is high, with more than 2,500,000 reported cases worldwide.
There are now at least 2968 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 55 deaths in Eswatini, and which the government of Eswatini is monitoring. (See this statement from the Ministry of Health). The government of Eswatini has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. Please note that the medevac destination of choice for travelers to Eswatini, the Republic of South Africa, is restricting patients confirmed to have COVID-19 or those displaying symptoms of COVID-19 from entering their country.
The U.S. Embassy has restricted all official travel outside of Eswatini to mission critical purposes. There are currently no restrictions on travel inside Eswatini for Embassy personnel. The U.S. Embassy has advised all official government visitors traveling from the United Stated to delay travel unless mission critical.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Eswatini.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy Mbabane, Eswatini
Corner of MR103 and Cultural Centre
Drive PO Box D202
The Gables H106, Eswatini
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter